Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
3 years 1 month ago #219973 by Pierre
Looking good PDU.;)
So with the "Hanging Type" front engine mount is there a rubber packer/insulator on both sides of the cross-member?:huh:
cheers
Pierre

Pierre

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 month ago #219984 by cobbadog
When I have had those type of bolts that rewuire 3 wrists to get at on a Mr Gadget arm I have held them in place for assembly with super glue then once the nut is started I have used a pair of vice grips to keep it steady. Before assembly I run a tap and die down the threads so they can go on easier.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Morris

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #219988 by PDU
Yes Pierre, there is a thin section above and the main support underneath. Basically the lower piece is connected to the crossmember first, the engine mounting plate sits on the crossmember with the upper (thin) piece sandwiched between the two. The bolts that actually support the motor pass through all four pieces, engine mounting plate, upper rubber section (with thin metal cover), front crossmember, and lower metal cased rubber mounting. There are metal tubes within the rubber and the lower piecce that the mounting bolts pass through.

It works but they made it easier with the later J Type mount. If anybody wants, or needs one, I have a very good one here that I don't need. ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by PDU.

More
3 years 4 weeks ago - 3 years 4 weeks ago #220363 by PDU
Away in the caravan and happened to stop at a bush camp, complete with three old Morris trucks AND a pair or rear fenders laying in the back of one of them.
Such is life, once again!?

Back home the marathon continues . . .

LHR guard takes shape . . .

The flat sections either side of the dome/turret, cut, bent and temporarily placed . . .

And a surplus metal door frame was utilised at the rear for access at rear. The corflute pieces are still coming in useful to help with visualising how it will look eventually.

Have also done some grinding (just for a change) around the front bulkhead modifications and have started on the lift up roof section of the turret.
Last edit: 3 years 4 weeks ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 4 weeks ago #220367 by Mrsmackpaul
Progress is always a good thing

Keep at it

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 4 weeks ago #220414 by Morris
PDU,You are making good progress on the Bfor body. Did you get any pictures of the front of the Morrises and/or did you find out what models they are?

By the way what are called fenders in the land of your birth are called mudguards in Aus. although having said that, what other States call a ute, is/was called a buckboard in South Aus.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

More
3 years 4 weeks ago #220420 by cobbadog
Don't forget that the Poms call mudguards 'wings'.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 4 weeks ago - 3 years 4 weeks ago #220426 by PDU
Being ambidextrous I refer to my wings(!?) as fenders or mudguards, depending on the mood I'm in Morris/Cobba, but a hood goes over your head and is always a bonnet (even if they also go over your head at times) AND my boots are always on my feet OR where some others think their deck lids are. :lol:

The three Morris' were all LC's, being early and late 50's models, LC3 or LC5 whatever?

AND I would call a buckboard a buckboard, or whatever it may have been originally (if discernible) with a comment that it had been made into a buckboard but never a ute. For example, two of the LC's were tray tops - not buck boards, and the other a ute (utility). ;)

U fink I'm a dumb pom or someting? :whistle:

ALSO Interesting footnote about Coopermook cobbadog, 'cos I always say that I come from the centre of the universe having originated in London - the true centre of the universe as time itself revolves around there! :P :blink:
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 4 weeks ago by PDU.

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #220436 by Morris
PDU I didn't mean to "un-salt" you, if you get my terrible pun.
There are many different local names for things. The two you call Tray Tops would be called Tray Trucks in Victoria and Tabletops in New South Wales. In Britain, I think they would be Lorries or Waggons. Or was it only Leyland who used the double G in internal combustion powered vehicles?
Thanks for the pics of the Morris Commercials. The two with headlights on stalks from the grille are almost certainly LC3's dating from 1948 to about 1953 (the LC was Pre war and there was no LC2) but the one with the flat tray just may be the very rare Interim Model LC4 which had the LC5 motor in an otherwise LC3. The Ute one is a quite rare LC3U which has 16 inch wheels. The rear axle or diff centre is much in demand to give an extra 10mph (unloaded) to the 20 inch wheeled version. The one with the headlights in the mudguards is an LC5 with the Austin A70 motor. Both motors were rated at 15.9 horsepower.
I am not interested because advancing age has greatly reduced my ability to use my very limited abilities but if the trucks are free for the taking, my mate in Port Augusta wants a part of the accelerator linkage for his LC3.

Regarding London being where time comes from, Spike Milligan, the comedian born in India of Irish parents, stated that he heard a young lady BBC announcer say on air:- "The time is now 12 noon Greenwich...... Meantime here is the news"

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PDU

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #220437 by allan

Morris wrote: PDU
Regarding London being where time comes from, Spike Milligan, the comedian born in India of Irish parents, stated that he heard a young lady BBC announcer say on air:- "The time is now 12 noon Greenwich...... Meantime here is the news"

I like that!:silly:

Time to create page: 0.559 seconds