Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #225292 by PDU
Slowly piece by piece - measure, check, cardboard or corflute templates, try again, then go walkabout to find sheet metal and then pay my offspring's inheritance (before they see it) to pay for it plus extra for cuts, folds, etc. The four small pieces I used over the rear guards were $70, and then I hit them with my disc grinder! If I had blown them I would have had to fork out another $70; it was never this expensive when I first started mucking around with cars. As a side note I now know that a bottle of argon is $100 odd too! :pinch: :blink:
Wait until I struggle wrapping the pieces over the side of the turret and down to the waist (shoulder?) line. That's going to be loads of fun.
AND then when I have the sheet metal pieces made, I can take them all off so I can sikaflex, screw, and pop rivet them back into place again. :whistle:
Maybe by the two year mark . . . and then there will still be paint and other things to ensure I will not die a rich man. :oops: :silly:
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 7 months ago #225300 by cobbadog
You really are making great progress and it is looking great as well.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

More
2 years 7 months ago #225315 by Mrsmackpaul
I'm not smartest joker on here so I wont advise you on sheet metal as I really have no idea

I wonder if adhesive that is used to stick car and truck panels together would be a option for hanging this tin ware on the truck

I have seen blokes use it on forums for sticking new roofs etc on trucks, apparently it is pretty common these days

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #225318 by PDU
I have got some "adhesive that is used to stick car and truck panels together" and simply used Sikaflex as a name because I couldn't remember what the correct name was without going out to the shed (yet again - see Pierre's post Bedford K Restoration).

As I have only a slim knowledge about what I'm attempting to do I will no doubt bumble my way through it :unsure: . . . and I will correct the name later Paul. :blush:

So be it: Parfix Fast Grip contact adhesive. ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 7 months ago #225354 by Zuffen
Have you thought about removing the Tekkies one at a time and plug welding the panel.

More
2 years 7 months ago #225355 by PDU
Not really Zuffen, if I need to remove the panels I should be able to with tek screws (despite the contact adhesive :unsure:), whereas welding is a wee bit more permanent.

More
2 years 7 months ago #225365 by cobbadog
Sikaflex make a number of grades of adhesive and some of them really do hang on so it still can be an option, just a case of choosing the right one for the job. Chevy Corvettes had their bodies bonded to the chassis and that takes a lot to get to let go if the boddy has to be removed. So it's not a new process and iit certainly can be successfull

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #225367 by Lang
That contact is not right. Here is the SIKA info that the manufacturers of bus bodies etc use. Bunnings usually has most types. Several small aircraft have all their panels glued not rivetted as is most common. Big aircraft also have many glued panels.

aus.sika.com/en/36913/automotive-aftermarket/panel-bonding.html
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 7 months ago #225371 by PDU
With so much confidence being shown I might just rely on the contact adhesive plus the tek screws where they can be hidden.

BUT if any of my panels fly off you will definitely hear about it . . . :blink:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
2 years 7 months ago #225372 by Swishy
BDU
gudday m8
Wen fixn panels make sure U dun have over lap th@ snags the passin wind wen out whistlin up the hwy
alos we now use the black polyeurathane stuff for glue and sealers ..... smooth off with finger dipt in soapy water .... that way it dun snag n make drag lines

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.595 seconds