Skip to main content

1965 F250’s Rejuvenation

More
1 year 6 months ago #241030 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
When I did up the David Brown and the little Dumpy truck both steering wheels had cracks and the Dumpy had sections missing but not too wide. I cleaned them up a bit and use Selleys U-Neadit and pushed and shaped that into place. It sures quickly and can be easily sanded. Once happy I then used That Epoxy Resin can of spray paint in Gloss Black. None of the repairs can be seen even now but I know these are not in full time use but I feel it is not that different to the resin used to make them. The paint is also standing up as the tractor has Armstrong steering so you have to grip it tight to steer at low speed and all good there too.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 6 months ago #241031 by Urchy87
Replied by Urchy87 on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Cheers cobbadog.

That’s all but exactly what I was planning on doing.

Adventure before Dementia.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog

More
1 year 6 months ago #241033 by Mairjimmy
Many years ago my nephew had a valiant that develop a knock so he reckoned his uncle would find it, so with the help of a piece of hose, no idea other than up in the front half of the engine...so off with the head found nothing wrong...so out comes the engine and out comes the pistons, nothing wrong there either....so we hooked up a battery and spun it over on the starter and the noise is still there with only the cam and crank spinning.... so off with the timing cover and there a tooth off a timing cog stuck in the chain going round

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Urchy87, PaulFH, Tacho

More
1 year 6 months ago #241061 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
The IH 6-281 used to develop a really loud timing gear knock,often buy them at the govt auctions cheap ........other common knock was the sump touching a rod ......if you put a 6-281 on a solid surface ,the sump would dent in maybe 1/4" ,but enough to touch a rod cap.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Urchy87, PaulFH

More
1 year 5 months ago #241290 by Urchy87
Cheers guys, I’d best cut that garden hose up and seek that noise.

Didn’t get the bolts as the shop shut at 4 and I didn’t get there until 4.30, damn annoying. So the tray will have to wait a couple weeks.

I collected another steering wheel but haven’t really looked at it yet. Hope to do that in the next couple days. It is in better condition than the one I have at first glance. Was in a hurry so didn’t really look at it when collecting.

I think I’ve got onto a guy who has acomplete running gear for one of these but in F350 format. Hoping it’s what he says it is. Its front and rear axles, another full set of rims, engine and transmission. Would be worth getting just to have incase I reckon. Will catch him in a couple weeks and hopefully make a deal.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #241291 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
A proper stethoscope is only eleven bucks. I think Super Cheap has them.

www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/1pc-stainless...dEhl6QhoCohQQAvD_BwE
Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
1 year 5 months ago #241605 by Urchy87
Cheers Lang. Next time I’m near somewhere that has them I’ll take a look.

The spare chassis I discussed looks to be a win. Comes with motor, gearbox, rims, axles, steering box etc included. Chassis has been cut in half due to rust but that doesn’t concern me. Hope to inspect and collect it in the next couple weeks. That will give me spares of pretty much all the harder to come by pieces for this rig. Fingers crossed the diff gears are more friendly than the 5.13’s it’s currently running. Keen to swap them out pronto.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH

More
1 year 5 months ago #241773 by Urchy87
Finally had a decent look at the new to me steering wheel. It’s in much better shape than the currently installed one. Took some work to get it off the steering column but got there in the end. The horn button was full of dirt which just bound everything up from the get go.

Used a carbide burr to enlarged the cracks. Sandwiched in some knead it putty and let that set before sanding one crack down to see how it’s going to turn out. See below for a before and after. Pretty pleased with how it should turn out once complete. Just need yo get some paint.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, wouldyou, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis, oliver1950

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #241781 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
I used a spray can of Epoxy paint in Gloss Black.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by cobbadog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Urchy87

More
1 year 5 months ago #241843 by Urchy87
I’ve got updates. Firstly, if someone ever tells you, you cannot fit an F350 chassis in an 8x5 box trailer, show them this photo.

As you can now see I decided the chassis had enough bits and pieces on it to be handy for parts when required later down the track and a couple for now to get it in the road. I also grabbed the 300/240 (not certain what it is, told 300) and the NP435 box. The engine although being the same as what is already in the 250 has some different things about it. I’ll make a list and see if you lot can give me any insight.

Also forgot to mention I purchased some plates when PPQ were having a sale. I ended up going with the below due to the sale savings. Yep, I know it’s a Z instead of a 2 but my thoughts are if you roughly know what the vehicle is you know what the plates say and if you don’t, you probably don’t really care about the plates.

Paint goes on the steering wheel tomorrow. :)

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, wee-allis, oliver1950

Time to create page: 0.624 seconds