Skip to main content

1965 F250’s Rejuvenation

More
1 year 3 months ago #243475 by Urchy87
Replied by Urchy87 on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Cobbadog, I don’t disagree with your theory.

Lang, thats great and thank you for taking the time to find that. It’s not far off the truth either. As soon as there is any RPM oil is flinging everywhere from the ones that are oiling. The non oilers did still have a light slick of oil on the rocker tip.

Wouldyou, cheers mate. Yep, I did. I recall as I was doing it the engine would load up a fraction, had me spooked at the time but went away shortly after adjusting so carried on with it. Did the same with it again today but once it gets up to operating temp it starts to clatter. Might have a dicky lifter.

Today, I played with the lifters to no success (I’ll ponder on that a little longer), found the fuse had corroded for the instrument cluster lights so that was an easy fix, patched up a hole in the exhaust, adjusted the clutch linkage so there was as little as possible pressure on the clutch fork as I’m hoping that was the slipping issue and did some door alignment work.

I think it’s pretty much ready for an inspection. Will see what comes of that but unfortunately I’ll be flat out for the next 3 weeks so won’t get it in for a roadworthy until after that.

Adventure before Dementia.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, wee-allis

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 months ago #243487 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Hi Urchy, you should have no pressure on the clutch fork until you push on the pedal; there should always be a tiny bit of freeplay in the linkage. i.e.: you should have to push (for example) 1/4" on the clutch pedal before all the play is taken up and you start disengaging the clutch.
You should be proud of what you have achieved and of your perseverance, something I personally seem to lack lately.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Urchy87, Southbound

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #243498 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
All the workshop manuals I remember reading say "about three quarters of an inch freeplay"

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Morris.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Urchy87

More
1 year 3 months ago #243524 by Urchy87
Thanks asw120. It’s been a journey. For the first time I’ve drone something like this I feel it’s thrown me the correct amount of challenges to not lose interest. The rod is just resting on the clutch fork, no pressure on it.

Morris, I reckon it would be close to 3/4 of an inch, maybe a fraction more. If I get a chance after work I’ll loosely measure it. Cheers.

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #245276 by Urchy87
It’s been a while so thought I should give an update despite not much happening.

So the roadworthy went well until we started looking for the engine number…….there wasn’t one. Have been working through the surrogate engine number process. It’s like the gift that keeps giving allowing me to learn all sorts of lessons, some in which I wish I didn’t have to.

It has been on a drive for the roadworthy under a day permit, 120k round trip. No real issues, did get a bit warm on the way home though in the heat of the day. The radiator cap spring seemed a bit soft so have since replaced that with no drive time on it yet. I’ll flush the radiator again as no doubt there has been some rubbish free up within the system as it was sitting for so long. This time I’ll back flush it with a few blasts of air to stir things up. Also burnt a bit of oil so I’ll have to keep an eye on that once it’s officially on the road. Fingers crossed in the coming weeks I’ll be bolting the plates on it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, wouldyou, 77louie400, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis, PDU, theabundantlife

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #245872 by Urchy87
We have updates.

New engine number received, stamped on the block and signed off by Queensland police. It wasn’t an overly painful process, just took a bit of time but glad I did it by the book despite it delaying progress.

By the end of the week it should all be sorted. As they can not find any record of the vehicle being registered using the chassis number the previous owner and myself need to do a Stat Dec of the vehicles history which needs to be handed over at time of registration and that will be the last bump in the road to get over…..well I hope.

Cheers all.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, wouldyou, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #245874 by Mrsmackpaul
Well worth the effort

It will make life simpler for ever now once it is fully sorted out

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Urchy87, wee-allis

More
11 months 3 days ago #246157 by Urchy87
Absolutely Mrsmackpaul.

Speaking of all sorted, that I am. The old F250 is on the road. Now for all of the teething issues to begin as the Speedo rolls through the miles.

Thanks to each and every one of you that gave advice or simply followed along with my journey. It’s been appreciated. This is certainly not the end for the old rig. Will keep this thread going as I modify, repair and replace as required.

Thanks again,
Urchy.

The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, hayseed, 180wannabe, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120, grandad, V8Ian, wee-allis and 1 other people also said thanks.

More
11 months 3 days ago #246160 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Well done Urchy87,
You have done well.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: hayseed, 180wannabe, Urchy87

More
11 months 3 days ago #246165 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
I think it would be a fair comment that we are all just as pleased about it as you are. Well done!

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Urchy87

Time to create page: 0.648 seconds