Skip to main content

1965 F250’s Rejuvenation

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #246167 by Mrsmackpaul

I think it would be a fair comment that we are all just as pleased about it as you are. Well done!

Absolutely agree, well done

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Urchy87, wee-allis, PDU

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #246171 by Urchy87
Replied by Urchy87 on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Cheers all, much appreciated.

Adventure before Dementia.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
10 months 6 days ago #246401 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Urchy, it's been a couple of weeks, we need to know if the duct tape and fence wire are still holding......
You have done well....

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #246791 by Urchy87
Hey Sarge, thanks for checking in. Sorry it’s taken a bit to get to you.

All zip ties and duct tape are still in tact. We have a couple teething issues mainly that it is getting hot. I’ll blast some water/air through the radiator and see if that does the trick and will check the thermostat isn’t blocked up with junk.

The only other thing is the drivers side front wheel cylinder is sticking occasionally. Narrowed it down to the piston being a bit loose in the sleeve. Will be ordering a new one next time I’m on a parts mission. The annoying part is it was the only one I wasn’t able to get from anywhere through Covid. Have spares for the rest incase the refurbs on them didn’t work, how typical.

Other than that just needs a tune, running pretty rich.

Cheers,

Urchy87

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, wee-allis

More
9 months 2 weeks ago - 9 months 2 weeks ago #246801 by 77louie400
Hello Urchy. I get a lot of my F100 Parts from West Coast F100 Salvage at Moriac. Good price, amazing service three days you have it in your hand at prices that you would not bother with old stuff, order via ebay or phone, Mine has a 7.3 IDI with a 5 speed ZF overdrive Gear box so motor and gearbox stuff comes from ebay USA mostly takes a week just be carefull with postage costs, some will charge $30 and the next one down will charge $300 because they don't want to deal with it.
If your pistons have been sleeved don't use silicon brake fluid as it will get under the sleeve and cause you all sorts of grief standard cylinders are as cheap as chips
and work best IMO.
Last edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by 77louie400.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #246804 by Urchy87
Cheers mate,

I had been getting most parts from RockAuto. Was working on this through the thick of Covid. Places in Aus only had bits and pieces so I’d have been ordering for heaps of places for one order. I think I checked with West Coast F100.

They have been sleeved some time ago. I honed them and got rebuild kits hoping it would get me by, did until it didn’t I guess. Haha. It’s only dragging lightly at times so still ok to duck into the shops at this point. I’m running regular Dot3. I have another project underway so won’t be long until I have a parts order to get that one sorted.

That combination in your F100
would be pretty sweet. I have a 351 Cleveland lined up for this but have been tempted to go Diesel. I don’t think the amount I will use it justifies the conversion cost though.

Thanks for the advice mate.

The following user(s) said Thank You: wee-allis

More
9 months 2 weeks ago - 9 months 2 weeks ago #246806 by 77louie400
West Coast has had most things I have needed for the F100 new parts at a good price and the blokes there know their shit.

My7.3 is out of a 1993 F350, turbo is a add on with some pretty fancy pipe work, bought the F100 with it fitted, the bloke that did it had a big block ford motor in it and was picking up broken Land cruisers, Nissan's and Land rovers and the like all over the country, and could not get the toque out of the petrol's to get out of tight spots with a big trailer on the back. For that type of hard work it is absolutely the top of the heap bar none the places that I have idled out of with 3 ton of fire wood would scare you. But if I was going down that parth I would go 6.8 out of a 250 0r a 35o with factory turbo they are a little more compact.
In my view the top of the heap in F100 diesel is the ones that have the factory fitted phaser Perkins, but for resale the 351 is probably your safest bet or as standard out of factory.

Best thing to do with your heating problems is a big aluminum radiator and two electric fans, they were always shits of things for over heating even when they were new idling around the paddocks, I have a thermostat in mine that brings the fans in at 85c and get yourself a new thermostat they are only good for eight or ten years
Last edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by 77louie400. Reason:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
9 months 2 weeks ago - 9 months 2 weeks ago #246808 by Blackduck59
Cummins 6BT, RTO610 in a 86 F350, torque to spare. Need a limited slip final drive as it will dig holes in sand real quick even with dual rear wheels.
Cheers Steve

Last edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by hayseed. Reason: Inserted Pics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, Inter-Action, Urchy87, PaulFH, Southbound, wee-allis

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #246809 by 77louie400

Cummins 6BT, RTO610 in a 86 F350, torque to spare. Need a limited slip final drive as it will dig holes in sand real quick even with dual rear wheels.
Cheers Steve

That's pretty neat, intercooler as well a lot tidier than my one, I have been told mine will do 4 wheel burnouts on tar if you wind the boost up to 17 psi, I run it at 6 max, that's not what it was built to do and I am very happy with what it does, Steve that must be 2 wheel drive or the motor would have to sit a lot higher to clear the front diff.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #246815 by Urchy87
Steve, that would also be nice to have in the shed. If you don’t enjoy them, no sense having them I reckon. Make them your own and there is nothing wrong with doing it different to what others do.

Had a look at the heating issues. The photos below tell the story. Radiator is blocked up. I’ll have a crack at sorting it out myself, have done a bit of soldering in my time, worst case scenario I pay for someone to fix it or it gets replaced. Before I started driving it I looked at the inside and it didn’t look near that bad. The bit of use has certainly moved some rubbish in the cores. The coolant would have no chance of dropping heat with all that rust in it either. I performed 2 radiator flushes before getting it rego’d and after the second it was clean as. Haha a mate suggested adding a radiator sock once I get this sorted. Sounds like a decent idea.

Oh the joys.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, wee-allis

Time to create page: 0.798 seconds