Skip to main content

Electric vehicles and alternate fuel sources

More
4 years 6 days ago #209196 by invested energy
Jack I was going to say too...

“...three-phase power outlets to charge EVs at remote locations such as roadhouses, phases are not always in balance due to diesel generator age and capacity, nor the points always accessible...”

I read that to mean that existing roadhouses that run on generators aren't set up for car charging... so having a stand alone car charger/genny on a skid is quite a good idea for extra capacity, easy set up, punter convenience and redundancy.

I could have the wrong end of the stick but my impression of the WA blokes charging 10 cars in 9 hours was that they were on a car club outing to a winery. The idea is to attract punters who need an excuse to spend a few hours... like a few of the Adelaide & Barossa wineries have already.

Anyhoo... the early adopters who used to drive horseless carriages as a hobby are the ones who drove the prices down and spread petrol distribution from a few chemist shops to many more blacksmiths... and on it will go. ;)

for when I'm not driving the car of the century...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 days ago #209200 by lantana jack

invested energy wrote: Jack I was going to say too...

“...three-phase power outlets to charge EVs at remote locations such as roadhouses, phases are not always in balance due to diesel generator age and capacity, nor the points always accessible...”

I read that to mean that existing roadhouses that run on generators aren't set up for car charging... so having a stand alone car charger/genny on a skid is quite a good idea for extra capacity, easy set up, punter convenience and redundancy.

I could have the wrong end of the stick but my impression of the WA blokes charging 10 cars in 9 hours was that they were on a car club outing to a winery. The idea is to attract punters who need an excuse to spend a few hours... like a few of the Adelaide & Barossa wineries have already.

Anyhoo... the early adopters who used to drive horseless carriages as a hobby are the ones who drove the prices down and spread petrol distribution from a few chemist shops to many more blacksmiths... and on it will go. ;)

Henry Ford were an electric car fan. His wife drove one. Ford couldn’t find a way to make electric cars viable so he had to satisfy himself with his diesel electric trains.

Back to todays electric cars... I can see the roadhouse owner talking to his accountant just how viable each electric charging ‘bowser’ is with the 10 cars charged per work shift.....

...although, the cars could be charged faster though that would blow that cheap charge rate right out of the water..;)

“The improver of natural knowledge absolutely refuses to acknowledge authority, as such. For him, skepticism is the highest of duties; blind faith the one unpardonable sin.” Thomas Huxley

More
4 years 6 days ago #209217 by JOHN.K.
In fact hydrogen was a major component of the gas that was piped to so many houses in the cities before LP and natural gas took over in the 70s.,and all the gasworks were demolished.....The gas was made by blowing steam over white hot coke ,or by steam over slack coal in a slightly different process......the gas contained hydrogen and carbon monoxide ,which was poisonous and "gassing yourself " a popular saying.....The so called "dirty" brown coal is an invention of the greens ,far as I can see......and maybe the natural gas industry ,too.....The only thing dirty about is the moisture content ...dry it out,and its no dirtier than steam coal.

More
4 years 6 days ago #209222 by invested energy
Yeah well,

Any accountant worth his salt will tell you that running your roadhouse on a generator 24/7 is completely bonkers when solar hybrid systems can be paid off in 2 or 3 years of just diesel saved... even if you still have 4 generator hours a day to get the cool room chilled, deep fryers hot and batteries topped up. I know this because I build the systems at work.

As a roadhouse you can decide what you're selling and what it costs. Even for grid connected stations it's not unheard of to charge 45c/kWh... $45 to fill your 100kWh Tesla.

Now given a 20 year lifespan, even if you factor in a replacement inverter at 10 years, small domestic solar will deliver electricity for 11c/kWh or less (big systems are cheaper per watt)

Your accountant or be happy when you're selling $45 of product that cost you $11. There's margin there to absorb the cost of generator hours when it's cloudy/night.

In fact if we use the 3.392kWh/litre from the article, and even use fully taxed diesel at $1.50, that's 44c, so maybe your roadhouse makes its margin on coffee and food or maybe they just charge more for the privelidge. It's pretty well accepted that remote roadhouses generally are expensive.

If you want further evidence than look to the mines. They're converting Landcruisers to electric and installing hybrid renewables in the megawatt range because it simply makes economic sense.

I reckon it's great...

reneweconomy.com.au/wind-turbines-comple...ine-microgrid-10825/

More
4 years 6 days ago #209228 by invested energy
Coal kills miners... and it's the greens fault?

Hydrogen will be a good way to store and ship energy, as long as it doesn't come from coal.

Fact is that even without considering climate, coal is filthy, always has been, and it's the taxpayer, not the mining company, or the electricity industry that picks up the health bill.

Ask anyone at Pt Augusta, since the coal burner was shut down & blown up they're happy there's no longer a layer of filth hanging in the air over town. I've seen it first hand and was glad to be pushing through.

Hopefully the rates of lung cancer there will decline from double the national average.

mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-05/port-a...10338812?pfmredir=sm

www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/an-ep...WImZMH4WZGb3ivaDhJtg

theconversation.com/black-lung-disease-o...tions-answered-91637

mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-15/queens.../8357772?pfmredir=sm

More
4 years 6 days ago #209229 by overnite

Morris wrote: Yep, don't use polluting brown coal here, just sell it to Japan where it will pollute just the same but it will not be "our fault."

Unfortunately, apparently, according to UN because it originated from Oz, we have the pollution figures added to our carbon emissions. Go figure?

More
4 years 6 days ago #209230 by overnite

invested energy wrote: Coal kills miners... and it's the greens fault?

Hydrogen will be a good way to store and ship energy, as long as it doesn't come from coal.

Fact is that even without considering climate, coal is filthy, always has been, and it's the taxpayer, not the mining company, or the electricity industry that picks up the health bill.

Ask anyone at Pt Augusta, since the coal burner was shut down & blown up they're happy there's no longer a layer of filth hanging in the air over town. I've seen it first hand and was glad to be pushing through.

Hopefully the rates of lung cancer there will decline from double the national average.

mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-05/port-a...10338812?pfmredir=sm

www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/an-ep...WImZMH4WZGb3ivaDhJtg

theconversation.com/black-lung-disease-o...tions-answered-91637

mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-15/queens.../8357772?pfmredir=sm

From abc news, then it must be true. Not.

More
4 years 6 days ago #209232 by lantana jack
Yeah......... me-thinks methane hydrate will be the next big thing.

Diesel and petrol ‘refined’ from methane hydrate will be cheap as. Likely price hydrogen out.

“The improver of natural knowledge absolutely refuses to acknowledge authority, as such. For him, skepticism is the highest of duties; blind faith the one unpardonable sin.” Thomas Huxley

More
4 years 6 days ago - 3 years 9 months ago #209233 by lantana jack

invested energy wrote: Yeah well,

Any accountant worth his salt will tell you that running your roadhouse on a generator 24/7 is completely bonkers when solar hybrid systems can be paid off in 2 or 3 years of just diesel saved... even if you still have 4 generator hours a day to get the cool room chilled, deep fryers hot and batteries topped up. I know this because I build the systems at work.

As a roadhouse you can decide what you're selling and what it costs. Even for grid connected stations it's not unheard of to charge 45c/kWh... $45 to fill your 100kWh Tesla.

Now given a 20 year lifespan, even if you factor in a replacement inverter at 10 years, small domestic solar will deliver electricity for 11c/kWh or less (big systems are cheaper per watt)

Your accountant or be happy when you're selling $45 of product that cost you $11. There's margin there to absorb the cost of generator hours when it's cloudy/night.

In fact if we use the 3.392kWh/litre from the article, and even use fully taxed diesel at $1.50, that's 44c, so maybe your roadhouse makes its margin on coffee and food or maybe they just charge more for the privelidge. It's pretty well accepted that remote roadhouses generally are expensive.

If you want further evidence than look to the mines. They're converting Landcruisers to electric and installing hybrid renewables in the megawatt range because it simply makes economic sense.

I reckon it's great...

reneweconomy.com.au/wind-turbines-comple...ine-microgrid-10825/

But wait, there’s more...

“...the Agnew project has received funding support from the Australian Renewable Energy Agency, which provided $13.5 million in recoupable finance...”

And I wonder just how much the taxpayer is paying for this un-reliable power source...:whistle:

I haven’t watched it yet but apparently this new film from Michael Moore shows wind power in a ‘poor light’..;)

Link removed

Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Gryphon. Reason: Link Removed

More
4 years 6 days ago #209234 by oliver1950
Hydrogen will never make it as a power source.Imagine filling up from your garden hose,simple cheap and easy.Exhaust is water,minimal pollution.
Now look at electric vehicles -expensive batteries,expensive electricity,win win for energy companies ,battery manufacturers,lithium miners and shareholders
Any wonder I am a skeptic

You can't have too many toys!

Time to create page: 0.552 seconds