Skip to main content

Electric vehicles and alternate fuel sources

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #229326 by Lang
Electricity is only a part of the picture. There is a blind eye turned to the total energy requirements of the world.

Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Lang.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #229335 by 600Dodge
Ah yes, electric vehicles, no doubt the work of conspiracy theorists.

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #229391 by PaulFH
Overlander posted a link to an oldie on FB.

Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by PaulFH.

More
2 years 4 months ago #229393 by hayseed
Forum Member Rockwiz, Runs some of His vehicles on recycled Oil from His Local Fish & Chip Shop..!

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 4 months ago #229399 by cobbadog
And when they do that you can smell the fish n chips behind them. Most governments dont like this idea because they loose out on fuel taxes and excises and so on.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 4 months ago #229409 by wee-allis
In Canberra today and listening to the news. They announced that for the city to have 70% electric vehicles they need between 600 and 1000 fast charging stations. Apparently they are working on it.

I'm only the messenger.

More
2 years 4 months ago #229412 by Lang
Still working on it.

I heard an interesting interview on the radio with the CEO of a Gold Coast company who have designed a better battery. It uses two halves. One side is carbon based (entirely made from old tyres or recycled plastic) and a second side like a car condenser that holds the charge electronically instead of chemically like lithium or lead acid.

It has around the same watts per kilogram of weight as lithium, but predicted much better within a short time. It has tens of thousands of charge cycles at 90% plus every time unlike the steadily deteriorating lithium with an eventual failure. It is not subject to thermal run-away like lithium so is much safer. 25% cheaper than lithium.

Best of all 100% recyclable.

Good news is all the experimental and early production was in China. They are bringing everything to Australia in a new factory at Ormeo near Brisbane.

A number of quite large companies are trialling them. He said small stocks are available for sale. There was a huge list of the industries, including the military, who have come on board. 7 Australian Universities are partnered with them.

Still does not solve the power to weight problem but solves many of the almost unsolvable problems with lithium.

So we march forward.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
2 years 4 months ago #229415 by JOHN.K.
I read recently that the modern solar cell was invented in Oz around 2000.......the inventors brought in a cadet Chinese engineer as a trainee .....and surprise ,surprise ,next thing ya know ,the cadet engineer is in charge of the worlds biggest solar cell factory in China.............Solar cells are made with pure white Nth Queensland silica sand.......but the refining process uses about 20 highly toxic and dangerous chemicals .....it would take 50 years to get approval here in Oz just to build the factory.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 4 months ago #229427 by cobbadog
I have very little understanding with 240v and up electrickery. But I do remember reading somewhere that if there were only 6 electric cars in a single street the power supply could not keep up with it because of the poor infrastructure. The article went on to say that the power supply could not afford to upgrade the power lines to cope so typical the Government tell us this is the future and the power companies are keeping a very low profile.
I say this because where we live we have that manyh blackopuits I had to buy a genset to keep the fridge and freezer cool and not loose a fortune in tucker. The last thing we need here is a higher demand for power until they fix the supply.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 4 months ago #229429 by Morris

I have very little understanding with 240v and up electrickery. But I do remember reading somewhere that if there were only 6 electric cars in a single street the power supply could not keep up with it because of the poor infrastructure. The article went on to say that the power supply could not afford to upgrade the power lines to cope so typical the Government tell us this is the future and the power companies are keeping a very low profile.
I say this because where we live we have that many blackouts I had to buy a genset to keep the fridge and freezer cool and not loose a fortune in tucker. The last thing we need here is a higher demand for power until they fix the supply.

Yep, I read that also. It is unbelievable that the Left are telling us all to drive electric cars, while at the same time, they want to close down all the power stations.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Time to create page: 0.602 seconds