Skip to main content

Electric vehicles and alternate fuel sources

More
2 years 4 months ago #229294 by Mrsmackpaul
A tad bit more

The battery charging depots and change over depots can use the unused stored power to supply the grid
Also Mum and Dad with electric car when plugged in and charging at night can also use the cars storage to power their houses or supply the grid

The grid reportedly has the capacity to charge all the future cars and trucks already ???

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #229298 by Lang
Paul

A bit lost there with cars being charged and supplying power at the same time?

Lang

More
2 years 4 months ago #229299 by 77louie400
re. ''The shocking naked truth'' The American's love that sort of stuff, very dramatic, I guess if you believe in talking batteries then it is all good to go, the general concept that we are all going to hell on a freight train and nobody is doing any thing about it, is wrong. The Arab's have and other oil rich country's have ripped the guts out of the rest of the world for a 100 years we can see the light and we are heading there, we will keep our money in our pockets and they can go back to roaming in the dessert. There is a lot going on, if the pollie's stopped trying to wedge each other and stuck to kissing baby's we would be a lot better of. Would you employ your local member in your business.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 4 months ago #229301 by mammoth
Mine is Barnaby %%*&^%^!

More
2 years 4 months ago #229303 by Mrsmackpaul

Paul

A bit lost there with cars being charged and supplying power at the same time?

Lang

Thats okay to be lost Lang

If your car is fully charged or nearly fully charged when you pull up from a hard day at the office
Or maybe you get home and your roof top solar is charging your car and your car is fully charged, your car can use its battery to power your home or put power back into the grid at night
You might be retired and rarely travel so car sits there as a storage device plugged into you roof top panels that powers your house or grid when needed

Paul

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #229313 by Lang
You can only use the power once. If you want to stay off the grid and feed off your car at night you will be walking to the bus stop in the morning.

The rarely travelled or arriving home with almost full battery situation does not meet any of the reasons for owning an electric car in the first place. Would you not be better off using a dedicated house battery and just keeping in the back of your mind that in emergency when the TV went dead you could plug the car in to finish watching Days of Our Lives to avoid drawing from the grid. Then suffer the consequences in the morning.

Maybe I could recognise my lawnmower tank as a reserve source of power for my car? VICTA should jump on this as a benefit of owning a mower.

Not having a go at you Paul. It is inevitable that we move to electric vehicles. It is very far from known whether the entire world going electric will actually be possible, economic or truly environmentally beneficial. I am certainly convinced we will be going down that road until we burst out into the daylight or finish up down a rabbit hole and have to come up with something else - hydrogen, mini-nuclear, horses or whatever. Luckily there are people working on all those other ideas in case the current path needs a severe adjustment.

Time and tide wait for no man and nearly everything done by man has been washed out by the tide only to be replaced by a better mousetrap. How is that for mixed metaphors?
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wee-allis, oliver1950

More
2 years 4 months ago #229317 by Mrsmackpaul
Lang it really is pretty simple

1) you can only use the power once

the very word renewable should explain that you can use it more than once

2) The rarely travelled or arriving home with almost full battery situation does not meet any of the reasons for owning an electric car in the first place.

Correct, theres many reasons to own a electric car and it will be different for each person

3)Would you not be better off using a dedicated house battery and just keeping in the back of your mind that in emergency when the TV went dead you could plug the car in to finish watching Days of Our Lives to avoid drawing from the grid. Then suffer the consequences in the morning.

If I was you looking at this It would be likely I would do both

The end of the day Lang it's pretty simple, I guess its a bit like Covid 19, some think its real and choose to get vaccinated for that reason, others dont care if it's real or not but are happy to be vaccinated and we have the anti vaxers that dont belive it at all for what ever reason are fighting getting vaccinated

Out take up with electric vehicles will be along these lines

Im watching a program on youtube while having my lunch were they are talking about this very thing, cars recharging the grid

Paul

More
2 years 4 months ago #229319 by cobbadog
Be quick Lang, Victa are already pushing electric mowers so if you want a fuel tank grab one now.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 4 months ago #229320 by Lang
Herein lies the problem.

Any discussion is closed down by the take-it or leave-it science-is-in crap. Both sides use the method.

All current change to renewable sources of power is experimental and therefore should be open to all and any discussion. Just casting doubt on a subject or even offering a rational alternative solution is met with screams of climate denier or greenie fanatic. I know you are pretty balanced but you say some people think it is "real" and some don't. It is not about "real", of course it is real, it is just that any suggestion or discussion falls on closed ears with non-believer type dogma and personal attack.

We are talking about batteries and sorry but you can only use power once. A battery is just a dam in the river to allow you to use the energy of the water in a controlled manner . It has absolutely no effect on the base supply of water. For the dam to be useful it must be built on a river that has guaranteed inflows.

The power in a battery has to be constantly renewed ie some source of energy provided - for some considerable time into the future that source will largely be renewable power but non-renewable source. By that argument the power from a petrol car is also renewable. This will gradually change.

The elephant in the room:
Regardless of where the power comes from, coal or the sun, the power to weight capability of a kilogram of current battery is anything up to 20 times less than a kilogram of petrol. Batteries may be fine for fixed installations but common sense says you can not effectively stick a ton of battery in a Corolla and expect the same efficient use of energy to move the car along as 50 kilograms of petrol.

Our failure is not producing renewable energy - that is proceeding apace in many areas. Our failure is to provide constant 24 hour reliable flow with peak demand boost capability. The national grid solution is not a valid argument. If NSW is still and dark, SA can send over their excess??? power. Unfortunately to do this every state must now be capable of producing two or three times their requirements to ensure national energy security.

Of course nuclear would solve all this shambles but some people are so set against it they would go to war. So how do we store the energy to run a nation without breakdown? The weight of Tesla batteries to do this would sink Australia into the ocean.

Storage is our problem without a 24 hour guaranteed production. In the whole world power requirement picture, focusing on current design electric cars is the equivalent of us using button batteries for a couple of torches when calculating the total requirements for our homes, let alone infrastructure and industry.

Renewable energy is getting better and better and we eventually will have enough but it relies on sporadic production requiring vast duplication of capacity and distribution infrastructure to ensure there is no failure. I believe the word 'cheap" regarding renewables is BS.

If we get some vast storage capability to use this production capability unimpeded we have found the Holy Grail.

Just my opinion.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: ianoz, Inter-Action

More
2 years 4 months ago #229322 by 77louie400

Be quick Lang, Victa are already pushing electric mowers so if you want a fuel tank grab one now.

I have a battery Lawn mower. battery wiper sniper, and battery Chain saw and I an't going back, I still use my petrol chain saw for the full day wood getting but that's about it,
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.612 seconds