Skip to main content

International A40 - 1 Superloader

More
8 years 1 month ago #167859 by Mrsmackpaul
I would try not use heat as you never really know what its doing to the axle thats just me though

do you have a exploded parts picture to share so we can at least try figure out how its meant to happen?? because at this stage Im just guessing

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #167868 by dieseldog
Paul, we don't want to heat the axle, only the wheel hub as you need to expand the hub away from the axle wedges. And I'm not talking red hot, probably 80 to 100 degrees is enough. A good trick is to touch the area your heating with a grinder and if it starts to go yellow, you've gone too far.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
8 years 1 month ago #168150 by Swishy
The Q:? on everybodys lips

Iz Sarge :-X stihl wrestlin with the Beast

n

Hoo won

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #168188 by Sarge
No wrestling going on here, just sitting in the corner rocking backward and forward.... there is another word starting wiff W causing me some angst; all Inter related... :P so we had a long weekend away with all the kids and G.Kids.... but these things dont fix themselves... :side:

Ol' mate is putting off his back operation to come and re-tap the holes later this week.... while I work out how to get the concrete delivered and spread.... :ohmy:

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Sarge.

More
8 years 1 month ago #168190 by Mrsmackpaul
looks like number one the big cast center has to be pushed off the wedges not the wedges pulled out and I dont think it will take much to shift it either its like a big morse taper or better still a taper lock vee belt pulley if thats the correct term
So put the heat away longer bolt in the center of the axle a big steel bar some blocks of wood one side and a porter power on the other and jack away and push the big cast center off the wedge
as I have said before it shouldnt be to hard to get off you just got to know how to attack it

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
8 years 1 month ago #168437 by Sarge
Well Paul, I heard you and tried all my limited tricks under the supervision of my mate who knows about fixing this stuff.... we put pullers and pushers on it, tapped out the ruined hole, and bolted the bejabbers out of it... cooked it up enough to fry eggs, cold water shocked it, and belabored it with the end of an FB heavy bar (no room to hit with a hammer).... I lost 3 kilos.... but no movement. :dry:

We now have re-arranged the puller so it pushes the wheel in while pulling on the wedges, put it under load and every time I go near it I bar the crap out of it.... sometime soon it should go POP... and slip back to the retaining bolts???? :blush: :S Please..

Sarge B)

More
8 years 1 month ago #168543 by Bluey60
Sarge
You know what they say about a watched pot won't boil
get away from it for a few days come up to Qld and look/buy
a new toy and by the time you get home it might have popped off

Bluey

More
8 years 1 month ago #168602 by dieseldog
Sarge, to get a hit on the axle, find a bit of round bar about the same size as the axle and of sufficient length, drill and tap a thread in the end of it and screw it on to the axle. If the axle is a female thread, just use a piece of HT threaded rod to join the two.

More
8 years 1 month ago #168640 by Sarge
I took Bluey's advice as soon as I saw it and walked away... didn't read the whole message though and have not gorn to Quinsland.

DD I read what you say but not sure if it is gunna work. The axle end is a half inch inside the wheel hub, it has a retaining bolt threaded into it, which I have variously removed and replaced when trying something different with the puller.... now that I am pulling the wedge out as I am pulling the wheel in, I cant get at the the axle .... photos to follow.... might be time to work off a few hot x buns and Easter eggs with the heavy bar in any case. :S

Sarge B)

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #168677 by Sarge
ok here is the game I am playing...

some pulling in each direction

you can see the orginal centre bolt, I have remove the washer and put an old nut as a packer under it, the centre was machined out to rest the puller in, but we have now changed to pushing on the rim rather than the axle.

bolts used in fashion as designed originally as well....actually you can only see the head of a 13/16 tap being used instead of a bolt, cant get a 13/16 unf bolt....

and what the other side looks like in its natural state.

Sarge B)
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Sarge.

Time to create page: 0.522 seconds