Skip to main content

McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel

More
3 years 6 months ago #215178 by cobbadog
And then, THIS !
Next it was time fit the rocker gear and also put 1 flywheel on and use the old keyway to align the slot so when the new Gib key is ready I can throw it in place. I removed the old stuffed 5/16" BSW bolt and will replace it as this one has seen far better days and it is on the verge of snapping off but having had a bit of experience now of removing stuck parts I got it out without damage and no heat, amazing.
Talk about being out under pressure :woohoo:

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #215180 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel
So close, it is becoming painful . . .

More
3 years 6 months ago #215187 by cobbadog
In the imortal words of Dr. Smith;
"The pain, oh the pain"

I agree it is a painfully slow project about as slow as the production of the new vehicle on order, bloody 2 month waiting list.

The positive thing is it is closer than it was last week and by a lot. Seems a I a run on prgress then a slight hiccup like the 5/16" BSW bolt for adjusting the tappet. Thought I had a couple here but didn't so that part of the challenge to set up is on hold for the moment but other things can still go ahead.

More
3 years 6 months ago #215191 by Morris
Cobbadog,
PM me your postal address and the length of the bolt you want. I am pretty sure I have some. It will cost you a cup of coffee if I get up your way after all restrictions are lifted.
Morris.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 6 months ago #215194 by cobbadog
Morris that is very kind of you but there is no need for your generous offer. I now have a small bucket of various ones donated today.

Today I went and tried out a milling machine for the first time ever. Well it is a drilling / milling machine. Didn't take long to work out left, right and down. I zeroed it the best way I know how and away I went. So the end result was these are now very close to the final size required and will be finished off using 'blue' and draw filling and a lot of trial fits.

Attachments:

More
3 years 6 months ago #215200 by asw120
Cobba, curious: did you just mill the step straight, or did you set the key to mill a taper on it to reduce filing? If so, how did you set them?

Cheers.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
3 years 6 months ago #215209 by cobbadog
Hi Jarrod. I put both keys together with the tapers touching. This gave put the bottom of the keys, the part that fit into the crankshaft and were parallel so I then reduced the thickness of the key a little at a time until I ended up being a still a bit over sized about 1/2" in from the head of the key, if that made sense.

More
3 years 6 months ago #215218 by asw120
Thanks for that. I was wondering how you arrived at the taper. I need to make one from scratch. I may use the dial on it, if I can't find a suitable old key to use for setup.
Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 6 months ago #215238 by cobbadog
I believe that the taper is 1:100.
Wish I knew before I started making changes to mine I would have at least drawn an outline of the shape. I have fitted one of the keys in place today. I used blue and a draw file to slowly reduce the final thickness. This was my first Gib key installation and it was painfully slow or appeared to be. After a few goes with the blue dye and a bit of filing and trial fits it all of a sudden got very close to leaving clear marks in the blue. So I took it slower and eventually I got it right, a nice rub mark almost full width of the key and full length. So I bumped the flywheel on as far as it would go and hit the key into place. Boy don't these things bite when they fit right. I don't think this will be coming out anytime soon.
I wont do the other side yet until I am happy with all the gears being in the right place then fit the second bloody speedi-sleeve, new oil seal and outer cover, fix the starting handle in the last flywheel and then blue another key.
I had to do another project this afternoon which took me away from play time, pick n shovel work in preparation of some excavating work I want to do next week with a hired Toro digger. Have lower the gravel floor in the main carport to fit the new van on order. Then while its here I will quickly make some changes out on the front footpath to give me more width for backing the Phat RR's van up the drive without digging up the grass.

More
3 years 6 months ago #215243 by asw120
I knew about the 1:100, but was wondering how you got it set up. Now I know. A smart idea which I may be able to copy. I measured the awful looking flywheel keyway on my Tangye and it actually measured up OK. Only the first bit is FUBAR from all the things that were hammered in there to try to keep the key in, which sadly, I don't have.

Cheers.

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

Time to create page: 0.523 seconds