Skip to main content

1975 Atkinson restoration

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208437 by Oilman
Replied by Oilman on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
The glass has been fitted, but they need to come back and fit the corner strips. I made the mistake of sourcing the new rubber myself. It is slightly larger and while the glass size was adjusted to take this into account there was much swearing while fitting and the glazier says he could have got the original size rubber. Fitted the doors today. Next is the rest of the interior, then hopefully the sign writing and then the cab can rejoin the chassis.

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120, roKWiz, oliver1950, Rattail 1927

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208440 by 180wannabe
Looking really good Oilman, your work is first class.

Stand over your glass man and make sure he completely seals the join with sealer before he puts the corner strips on. Our glass man "knew everything" and wouldn't listen, and of course the windscreens leaked. I had to take them both apart again and seal them up properly myself.

More
4 years 6 days ago - 4 years 6 days ago #209031 by Oilman
Finally got around to the steering wheel. It had a few cracks in it and a small piece missing near the cover. I used a dremel to remove the material around the cracks and then I filled it with epoxy 2 part putty followed by sanding, priming, blocking and then gloss black 2 pack topcoat. The photo may not look like it, but the finish came out very well. I can't paint in the shed any longer as I don't have enough plastic to cover the truck, so had to wait for a day with no breeze. I also made up a stand to hold it as can't hang to paint.

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 6 days ago by Oilman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, 180wannabe, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, roKWiz, Southbound, Tacho, wee-allis, oliver1950 and 1 other people also said thanks.

More
4 years 6 days ago #209049 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Once again, nice work oilman.
I did exactly the same repairs on my little Dumpy Truck and the Cropmaster. Only difference for me was I had no 2pac gloss black but used an epoxy paint that so far has stood up quite well.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
4 years 6 days ago #209050 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Nice job, maybe there is hope for my wheel after all ;)

More
4 years 6 days ago #209066 by roKWiz
Replied by roKWiz on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Absolutely beautiful workmanship. Attention to details is amazing too.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did

More
4 years 4 days ago #209211 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Oilman where is the big four spoke steersman controller..... three dont look quite right.... did they do a down grade as the trucks got better?

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
Attachments:

More
4 years 4 days ago #209214 by 180wannabe
Oilman's steering wheel is correct for the Mk2.

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #209972 by Oilman
I had to get part of the inner doors recovered (the part around the 'map pocket') so today I could reassemble the inner doors including fitting the door locks and adjusting. I thought it would take me a few hours to do both sides, but it ended up taking around 12 hours which is hard to believe......... I hope I never have to pull it apart again. The inner skin itself is a fibreglass panel which is held on with expansion plugs which are used in the building industry. This is a pretty crude design and they are almost impossible to remove again if required. It then has a door trim screwed to it. My door trims were still in very good condition for a 45 year old truck.

Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Oilman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Morris, PaulFH, Southbound, oliver1950

More
3 years 11 months ago #209975 by prodrive
Replied by prodrive on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Geez Sarge,
You've just brought back a whole lotta memories there- although mine was a MK1, which looks slightly different to the one you posted?
The sum total of instruments that worked in mine was the temp and oil pressure gauge..not that the speedo mattered. Bloody fifty MPH on a good day downhill with a tail wind anyway. And then it was mexican overdrive so it didn't over rev...
Stuart that is an amazing job you are doing... Damn near a brand new truck by the time she's finished. Credit to you mate.

Time to create page: 0.555 seconds