Skip to main content

1975 Atkinson restoration

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #210429 by Oilman
Replied by Oilman on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
If you restore a truck, I guess the next job is to build a shed to put it in. I bought a 24m x 15m x 5m shed in early 2019. Unfortunately it arrived in April 2019 and it was too wet to get on the paddock to unload, let alone erect it. I finally had it put up in Feb this year. When I built my last shed 15 years ago I painted the floor with 2 pack epoxy paint and swore if I ever built another one I would do the same. It makes it much easier to keep it clean and oil spills etc just wipe up with a rag without leaving a mess. If anyone is interested, the 360m2 used 42 litres of PPG Epoxy Top Coat, 42 litres of PPG Epoxy Hardner and around 12 litres of thinner. On the 1st coat I used 25% thinner and on the 2nd and 3rd coats I used 10% (instructions say to use none). Each coat took around 8 hours using a 270mm roller but I did it in two halves so 4 hours a coat and you have to do it on 3 consecutive days. Total cost for the paint about $2000. One job I'm glad is finished.

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Oilman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH, husky, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #210448 by Southbound
OMG, now that's a shed!

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 11 months ago #210449 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Looks gr8 OilMan
Butt
with time
U'll find U never build m big enuff
LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
3 years 11 months ago #210451 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
And how about showing us the inside with the epoxy floor job . . . please :)

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #210461 by Eightpot
Replied by Eightpot on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Appreciate that this is going back a bit, but when refurbishing the engine did you check the injection timing.? With setting the injection point line on the flywheel at the topmost point did the lines on the little windows on the injection pumps line up. If there is wear and the line on the plunger is lower than those at the window sides, fuel injection will be retarded.
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Eightpot.

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #210470 by Oilman

PDU wrote: And how about showing us the inside with the epoxy floor job . . . please :)

It just looks like painted concrete (nothing special) but photo below. I used Light Greay as probably closest to natural concrete color. The scissor lift is there because the shed sat outside for 12 months and the paint on the columns and trusses didn't look great so I repainted them.

Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Oilman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, PDU

More
3 years 11 months ago #210471 by Oilman

Eightpot wrote: Appreciate that this is going back a bit, but when refurbishing the engine did you check the injection timing.? With setting the injection point line on the flywheel at the topmost point did the lines on the little windows on the injection pumps line up. If there is wear and the line on the plunger is lower than those at the window sides, fuel injection will be retarded.

I didn't check the timing, the injector pump was just reinstalled with the same timing ie marks on the driveshaft lined up the same as when removed.

More
3 years 11 months ago #210474 by Mrsmackpaul

Eightpot wrote: Appreciate that this is going back a bit, but when refurbishing the engine did you check the injection timing.? With setting the injection point line on the flywheel at the topmost point did the lines on the little windows on the injection pumps line up. If there is wear and the line on the plunger is lower than those at the window sides, fuel injection will be retarded.

Whilst having never done this on a Gardner I have done this on old Cat motors and it can make a huge difference at try to start them when cold
If it hasnt been checked it would be well worth checking at some stage because unless it was just checked it will be slightly out as everything wears

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 11 months ago #210475 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
never had a Gardner that was hard to start.....and some of them were pretty worn.....Anyway ,the LXBs have an external pump drive,and also an external advance mechanism ,so adjusting the timing is quite easy,......generally wear of the long timing chain is the cause ......Gardners are designed to be very easy to service,comes from the marine heritage.

More
3 years 11 months ago #210485 by Oilman
I did adjust the timing chain as it was a little loose. Not sure how to check the timing, will have to read up.

Time to create page: 0.529 seconds