Skip to main content

Late 354 Perk.

More
6 years 6 months ago #188282 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Late 354 Perk.
As to coolant,in my small Inters ,a 6/354 ran stone cold,in fact I had one in a Ab110/C1100 panel van,and it did not have a fan.No fan,and provided you didnt stop straight after driving up the Toowoomba range,it never got hot.I did many a mile in that van,used to get 30mpg verified over a long period.The D1310 had a fan though,cause it used to carry 4 ton at times,and tow a 20ft hd trailer that would also take many tons.The only truck I ever wore out.Still in the yard rusting away,put off the road for smoke notices.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #188289 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Late 354 Perk.
John K., I resemble that remark Owners of Perkins Accos wernt perfectionists,and generally preferred to do no repairs and offer a cash incentive for the yearly inspection certificate.] except I am too mean to pay anyone... no inspection required. My mighty ACCO runs cold, and to reduce the smoke screen I put in a hotter thermostat... to good effect, and I have never been aware of it ever losing water.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Sarge.

More
6 years 6 months ago #188293 by JOHN.K.
Yep,never had a moments trouble with the Perks,now the Inter petrols,they ran so hot that every time you stopped anywhere they would pour out water and leave a yellow stain all over any concrete you parked on.Downright embarrasing at the supermarket,people would be telling you your radiator was leaking all the time.The day all the Perks were replaced with jappas was the day Australia started going downhill.Now we re on a very steep slope.

More
6 years 6 months ago #188296 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Late 354 Perk.

JOHN.K. wrote: Yep,never had a moments trouble with the Perks,now the Inter petrols,they ran so hot that every time you stopped anywhere they would pour out water and leave a yellow stain all over any concrete you parked on.Downright embarrasing at the supermarket,people would be telling you your radiator was leaking all the time.The day all the Perks were replaced with jappas was the day Australia started going downhill.Now we re on a very steep slope.

and in angle gear , better hang on for the ride

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
6 years 6 months ago #188315 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Late 354 Perk.
Looking that the mark in the paint, I would say that the previous owner has had trouble with a leak and replaced a stud with a bolt. As Paul said, it might be bottoming out and not pulling the pump down tight. I would replace the gasket under the pump. Sometimes, a gasket will simply run out of crush and just not seal anymore.

More
6 years 5 months ago #188844 by invested energy
Replied by invested energy on topic Late 354 Perk.
Well the oil leak isnt getting better so I'm about to try lifting the injection pump out to make a gasket & possibly do a helicoil or similar repair for the missing stud. Is there anything I should know about the Bosch pump or whatever drives it?

I have an old shop manual and have worked on the NA Perkins with CAV pump withoit any drama, just thought I'd ask if anyone has some good tips if the Turbo engine is any different.

Cheers

for when I'm not driving the car of the century...

More
6 years 5 months ago #188859 by JOHN.K.
I think the pump adaptor has a large O ring round it to seal.The oil leak is most likely comong out between the pump and adaptor,which will be only a gasket,and may have pressure oil in there.The difference is only a much larger spline drive.Still with a indexing spline,so timing cant be wrong.I have pulled a lot of these pumps when the low sulfur fuel hit,but i cant really visualize the details.It was a long time ago.The only diesel repair I have done lately is the head on my Courier,lots of other stuff needs doing,but Im loosing interest in everything,so I dunno whats to happen.

More
6 years 3 months ago #190052 by invested energy
So I've lifted the injection pump out...

As the pump bloke said, these things seem to suffer a bit with vibration and will often end up shuffling around & wearing the gasket. It's also leaking some fuel as well as engine oil so the time has come for a pump birthday. Parts are available, wonder if they can turn it around this week?

There is an O ring around the pump mounting adaptor plate, haven't sorted out how to repair the stripped stud. This plate also has a bushing to carry the pump drive. Guess I should look at that. Does anyone know what sort of tolerance they should run?

the next trick is going to be getting the injectors out. I've got the clamps off but they don't seem too keen to move with some gentle encouragement from a pair of pliers. I've just been giving them a dose of inox for the moment. Is there a good method? Do I have to make a little puller or slide hammer to screw onto the thread??

Cheers

Anthony

More
6 years 3 months ago #190053 by invested energy
Witness marks anyone??

Attachments:

More
6 years 3 months ago #190054 by roKWiz
Replied by roKWiz on topic Late 354 Perk.
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI bought a screw on type, slide puller off fleebay to suit Perkins / Mazda diesels injectors. Works a treat. here's where I got it.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did

Time to create page: 0.522 seconds