Skip to main content

Late 354 Perk.

More
5 years 10 months ago #194387 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Late 354 Perk.
For petrol engines I have a modified spark plug with a long bolt threaded through it.
Bring a piston up to somewhere near TDC, screw the bolt in till it touches the piston, mark the front pulley/balancer.
Turn the motor backwards from the bolt until the piston comes back up and touches the bolt again. Mark the pulley again. Halve the distance on the pulley between the marks and you have TDC.
Could do similar with the dial indicator, zero it on the piston and do the same again. Just means you need to pull an Injector to get access. If doing fairly close to TDC you could just wind the motor over TDC till you get the second reading
Cheers Steve

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #194388 by invested energy
Replied by invested energy on topic Late 354 Perk.
Yeah I bought a genuine brand name (Crane?) tool that does that for petrol engines... a lump of brass with an m14 thread. You have to be careful, the angle of the plug means some engines have a fair mechanical advantage to bend the tool. The hamfisted can also ding pistons.

My only other query is how to turn the engine slowly when they have 3 little bolts arranged in a triangle to keep the front pulley on, instead of a decent sized bolt to put a socket onto :P

Cheers

for when I'm not driving the car of the century...

More
5 years 10 months ago #194389 by Blackduck59
Just went back through your posts and see this is turbo'd, does this have the diaphragm in the top ( In your case side)?

There are a couple of ways to play with the fuel on these to gain performance and clean up any black smoke.
There are plenty of good guides on a couple of sites I use, should be some on the timing as well.
Cheers Steve

More
5 years 10 months ago #194390 by Blackduck59
Yeah, winding diesels over with the injectors in is fun if you don't have a barring tool. Cummins kindly provided a hole in the bell housing to take a tool.
Have made them out of an old starter, used the starter nose to hold the Bendix. Junked the rest and welded a nut to the shaft. Lets you get a socket on it and then you can turn them fairly easy
Other than that you need to pull injectors again to relieve the compression while winding over
Cheers Steve

More
5 years 10 months ago #194391 by invested energy
Replied by invested energy on topic Late 354 Perk.
Yeah there is a diaphragm on it, apparently there were a few issues inside the pump when they had it apart, broken springs and all.

By all means send us some links for any references you have ;)

for when I'm not driving the car of the century...

More
5 years 10 months ago #194392 by Blackduck59
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationOK, will ping you some via PM. Not sure of the forum rules on posting other sites.
If you have not seen it, this is the sort of adaptor to take a dial indicator to screw into the back of the pump for timing.

Cheers Steve

More
5 years 10 months ago #194394 by Blackduck59
VW engine but it is the same way to do your pump. Many more on there and some odd expensive adaptors

Cheers Steve

More
5 years 10 months ago #194428 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Late 354 Perk.
Invested, it may be of no value to you at all, as I have an early N/A Perk.
Even after spending the family fortune getting my pump and injectors rebuilt by PERKINS EXPERTS, it never idles below 1000 rpm, I had a little drive today and on smoky start up it struggles any something like 75 until it gets warm and then sits at 1000 all day. I have to keep the revs up on start when cold or it will stall and yes I do need to give a dose of Startyab.... I dont need to leave a trail of bread crumbs to get home, the blue haze hangs for long enough.

Hope ya get it sorted.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
5 years 9 months ago #194431 by Blackduck59
When they rebuilt the injectors did they tell you what pop pressure they set them to?
The VE on the Cummins use 245 Bar, varying from that alters the actual injection timing.
Seeing there was some confusion about these injectors to start with they may have set them different to what the pump requires.
I have no idea what the other IP pumps for the 354 run at.
Cheers Steve

More
5 years 9 months ago #194432 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Late 354 Perk.
Ive set injectors to all sorts of pressures with Perks,and havent noticed any difference......the only exception being the 4-108,where a worn pump can be made to work good enough to sell the Bobcat by setting the pressure down to a few hundred PSI...........one of the best examples Ive seen was a 4-236 fitted with injectors from a BMC motor........the nozzles were 90deg out,but the motor ran OK .It was in a MacDonald roller......I have noticed in Jap diesels,a worn VF pump makes bulk white smoke,that cant be cured without a replacement pump......the DPA s fitted to early Perks didnt have this problem,in fact they had almost no problems in the 354s,but in very small motors,wear means very hard to start cold,impossible to start hot..In fact this is my check for a worn pump......hot starting with hot fuel,which is very thin.

Time to create page: 0.467 seconds