Skip to main content

Late 354 Perk.

More
6 years 2 months ago #191348 by invested energy
Replied by invested energy on topic Late 354 Perk.

for when I'm not driving the car of the century...
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #191349 by invested energy

Attachments:

More
6 years 2 months ago #191356 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Late 354 Perk.
Years ago,I bought a big lot of new and reco Ford nozzles at a Telecom auction.......I used them on all sorts of motors with a similar angle,Perks,Bedfords,AECs,Austin/BMC/Leyland,.....I have seen nozzles meant for 90deg different installation used wrongly,without any apparent problem.Dont do it myself though....Unfortunately,I never bothered saving Bosch VE/VF pumps,have thrown a good few Neuess IH motors straight into the scrap without saving the pumps......I know the Chinese are making copies of them now,and was considering buying a Chinese hyd head assy for the VE pump on my Courier..........When the sandblasters cleaned out I should have saved this kind of stuff,instead I stocked up on GM V6/71 motors and spares that is all junk now.

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #191530 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Late 354 Perk.

You definitely have 1000 series injectors in your 354. If you undo the nut at the red arrow and remove the nozzle, you will be able to read the numbers off the nozzle itself. If you look for two letters at the green arrow, these will identify the holder and nozzle part numbers from the workshop manual.

There are also different injector nozzle heights, as in how far the nozzle tip protrudes from the head surface, for the 354. These vary for natural, turbo, etc. The 1000 series also uses two different pistons, and you need the right nozzle for each type of piston. Since the 354 has different pistons again, your best bet will be to find some 354 injectors and rebuild them with the correct nozzles.

It could be my eyes, or the angle the photo was taken, but do the middle two injectors have different nozzle lengths?
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by dieseldog.

More
6 years 2 months ago #191531 by invested energy
I'm pretty sure they're all the same length, even a numpty like me would have spotted that first up, I hope!

When I cleaned then up I also put a spanner on them & gave them half a turn to make sure they'd come apart but I didn't open them up to read (or lose) any pieces.

I think there was a hand engraved 2 character number as the top where your green arrow is but I didn't pay much attention at the time.

I am currently hunting some used injectors. Ringing around I found sadly Tony from Central Coast died 5 years ago. AW Diesel in Adelaide were helpful with a Perkins injector number but couldn't offer any solutions. Chris(?) from Berri Diesel was astounded AW didn't have anything. McArdle from Coomandook is asking his mate in Mt Gambier. He also has a complete engine with a holed liner(?sans turbo?) for $2k

Mick at The Rock sounds quietly confident once he's interrogated the engine number & Bosch numbers I have for the new parts already ordered.

There's one other "good" engine I'm aware of that wasn't really for sale a few years back. Might have to go see that old farmer again & see if it's not full of water after all the time spent out in the yard.

Better get on with it for now.

Cheers

More
6 years 1 month ago #192160 by invested energy
Ok so I have the pump & injectors back. They're gold plated now I'm sure, just can't see where... must be on the inside.

The question begging now is how to refit all the bits. I suppose it should have new fuel filters all round on general principal. Is there a good way to (pressure?) test the lift pump, filters, fuel system to eliminate air leaks?

My Perkins manual is for NA engines... does anyone have a reference for getting a turbo manual, or some torque specs for the injector retainer saddle things.

Chat soon blokes

Cheers

More
6 years 1 month ago #192179 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Late 354 Perk.
cut a section of inner tube a bit bigger than the fuel tank filler , grab a couple of air hose fittings to fit you compressor one with a male and the other with a female thread
Put a hole in the middle of the inner tube a big flat washer on either side and do up the air line fittings snug on the rubber

Use a hose clamp around the filler to hold the rubber on and turn the tap off to the air hose at the compressor connect the air line and gently fill the the tank with air
when the tube starts to balloon a little turn the tap off and then look for leaks on both the supply and return lines (you will see the fuel bubbling out)

I find this is safe as the the air line fittings and washers blow out of the rubber tube at only what I guess is a few psi

This can not be used for priming despite what BS people say as the air travels quicker than the diesel and it just blows bubbles with a little diesel but is a good way to find a leak

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: invested energy

More
6 years 1 month ago #192181 by dieseldog
New filters are a must, you won't get warranty on the pump and injectors if you don't. I've seen a brand new pump be destroyed in a few minute by the same water laden filter that killed the original one.

I check the manual for the torque specs shortly.

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #192185 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Late 354 Perk.
Ive got a few sets of those late Bosch injectors from Neuess motors.,and Fords too ,I think.........I hate them,cause you need a big set of shims to adjust nozzle pressure....the previous ones you just need a screwdriver and spanner.....all the later diesel stuff is crap,and then of course electronics,which have at least come down in price.......except Cat.
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by JOHN.K..

More
6 years 1 month ago #192280 by dieseldog
Atomiser securing nut/setscrew- 12 ftlbs, 16 Nm

Time to create page: 0.481 seconds