Skip to main content

Late 354 Perk.

More
6 years 1 week ago #192839 by invested energy
Replied by invested energy on topic Late 354 Perk.
This coming weekend should be a few moments of truth...

I was wondering what you blokes think about cleaning out the injector holes, they're pretty rough with scaley rust. My inclination was to use a pencil type wire brush on a die grinder, but keeping the rubbish out is what bothers me. Should I make a neat fitting rubber or wooden plug, do the cleaning, blow the hole out with a kero gun & then use compression to remove the plug? After that I was tempted to put some diesel in the cylinders & crank it again to flush out anything foreign... and make a mess of course.

I guess the new injectors would benefit from a coat of never seize. My intention was to poke a new O ring into the recess at the top, just so the space doesn't gather crap, and probably use some hi temp silastic type stuff to seal them.

I don't have a good idea on how to time the pump yet. There is a photo on my phone of a page in a manual, which gives some specs and how they differ from a NA engine but I have no special timing tools. Despite the apparent fussiness of the pump people, they seemed a bit lackadaisical about actual injection timing. "Just try to measure the witness mark on the old pump housing & then play it by ear once it's running" was the advice... O.o

I think I'll go back and see them once it's running in any case. They seemed interested in the old bugger...

Cheers for your help blokes.

for when I'm not driving the car of the century...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
6 years 1 week ago #192840 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Late 354 Perk.
Can U run petrol thu the injector in natural travel direction n probe around the holes with the fine tip cleaners from the oxy acetylene kit ..... any crap disturbed will B flushed out with the petrol flo

cya

ยง

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
6 years 1 week ago #192841 by invested energy
Thanks Swish,

I should have clarified, I need to clean the holes in the cylinder head before reinstalling the overhauled injectors.

cheers

More
6 years 1 week ago #192864 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Late 354 Perk.
To clean up the holes, especially if they are full of dirt,seal up the inlet on the manifold and plumb up an airline to the thermostat tapping. Turn the engine over so the the intake valve is open on the cylinder your cleaning and turn the air on. Use a gun barrel brush in an electric drill. The escaping air will blow the dirt out.

Just be mindfull to leave all the the injectors out unitl your done, otherwise the engine may turn over unexpectedly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, invested energy

More
6 years 1 week ago #192867 by invested energy
Thank you Dog,

I like your thinking, sounds far better than using the starter to shower everything with diesel... :P

More
6 years 1 week ago #192888 by Kwakatriple
Replied by Kwakatriple on topic Late 354 Perk.
I have found that Tiny at A W Diesel (Adelaide) knows his Perkins pretty well. You can email him at spareparts@awdiesel.com.au
He might be able to assist you.
Good luck

1964 Bedford bus/motorhome
1972 Bedford bus/motorhome
...and sundry other 2, 3 and 4 wheel vehicles...
The following user(s) said Thank You: invested energy

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #194051 by invested energy

Making tools again

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by invested energy.

More
5 years 10 months ago #194052 by invested energy

Good job eh :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, Lang

More
5 years 10 months ago #194057 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Late 354 Perk.
You should patent that tool!

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: invested energy

More
5 years 10 months ago #194080 by invested energy
You know when you want to give things a minor tweak, then carry on with the task at hand, and end up spending the rest of the night making repairs that just get you back to square one..?

Stripped the thread in the alternator while adjusting the fan belt.

Being that it's a pain to see the bolt and get a spanner on it, I went all out making new parts so that a) it wont happen again, b) I didnt have to remove the alternator and c) it's easier to work on.

Adjuster bracket won't handle 3/8th bolt so it has to be 5/16, with welded tab to prevent it turning. I want to use the same 9/16 spanner on top & bottom bolts so I found a stepped bolt with appropriate head, screwed it into an old mini rocker cover nut, welded, filed, faffed about to get a long nut that could be accessed beyond the double vee pulley.

Now the belt is tight...er.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout

Time to create page: 0.497 seconds