Skip to main content

Drivers Diary Question

More
12 years 10 months ago #53850 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Drivers Diary Question
Basil,

If your got a book use it.
No need to show every little change of activity.

As long as you don't work more than 5 hours straight.have yuor 1/2 hour break.
Don't work more than 12hrs in" ANY 24Hr PERIOD" Not calender day.

I'd imagine you'll only be bludging along checking all the sight out. So enjoy.

It won't be as if your got Express or Market on 8-)

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #53851 by GM Diesel
I think the clean nose approach will be just fill it in, wind the Jimmy up and enjoy the trip. Just got to make sure I keep the pointy thing at a 100 on the dial and not over 8-)

Thanks everyone for comments.

Basil

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
12 years 10 months ago #53852 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Drivers Diary Question
Baz, we do heaps of tilt trays on trucks that have an 11990 kg GVM because they don't need a log book or a speed limiter. We do them for one mob on 10,400 kg GVM trucks that tow a 2 car banana trailer, they need the log book with the trailer hooked up because it is 16,000 kg GCM, but they can run around Sydney or Melbourne all day picking up cars with out the trailer and no worries about the logbook. So if your GVM is under 12,000 kg, you don't need one. Once you fill it out if you've made a mistake, weather you needed to be using the log book or not they can ping you for it, and they can go back through all the pages. Having Deb with you I reckon you will be unlikely to be driving more than 12 hours in a 24.

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #53853 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: Drivers Diary Question
G'day Basil...
Just a few bobs worth...
Fill the book in!
despite what the tare is on the door or the sticker....
If they throw you over a 'bridge and you are a gram over 12T....shes all over!
Such as what modifications have you made to the vehicle since rego to alter this tare weight??? obtaining a bodgy tare weight to avoid rar rar rar..and so on and so forth and the questions will snowball..
Fill it in as the 'Seed has suggested...
Keep a 'note' of the time and the k's at that time when you stop for social activities...
If you need to do a hurry up for whatever reason...
you will have some time up your sleeve..
If you are not familiar with the locations ,times and distance between the safety cams, make a pitstop not too long past one and it'll be right at the other end..
Not that a '53 will break any records ;D (had to do that!)
Although not a legal registration requirement in all states..
Get a Signie to cut you some removable vinyl for your tare and gross (readable size of course..40mm)
and bang it on the door.
There is enough drama out there now let alone looking for any!
Safe trip mate...although i will be back for another load before much longer.. ;)
chocs 8-)

More
12 years 10 months ago #53854 by doug
Replied by doug on topic Re: Drivers Diary Question
A pity the government hasn't bought in the uniform rules across australia. One of my little rigids which has a GVM of 10.9t, the driver must still carry the work diary but does not have to fill it in.They can't tell me why, the answer they give "its the rules". Anything over 12t GVM must use the diary if travelling outside of 80 or 100 klm radius of the depot. Hope i havn't confused the situation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #53855 by kenny-mopar
they probably take into account that if you tow with it u will need to do the paperwork ? :(

More
12 years 10 months ago #53856 by Dilligaf
Replied by Dilligaf on topic Re: Drivers Diary Question

Howdy,

The question im about to ask is probibly stupid and I apologise in advance for it but the drivers diary says drivers of trucks with a GVM of 12 tonne and above must fill out log book.....im okay with that but does it mean is actually over 12 tonne or vehicles rated for a GVM 12 tonne and above ?
Im sure it has been asked before about if your bobtailing a prime mover that has a GVM above 12 tonne do you need to run the book ?

Basil

Not sure if this has been answered yet or not(dont have time right now to read thru em all) But it works like this? MR Medium rigid trucks go up to 11.9ton GVM anything over is a heavy vehicle. For weighbridges under enforcement(meaning in use) ALL vehicles over 4.5ton must enter. So even if your in ya ute towing a horse float or bogie trailer you to must pull in to collect that cuppa tea n bickky they invite the rest of us in for!

Professional pothole dodger!

More
12 years 10 months ago #53857 by Chocs
From the Vicroads website:

Vehicle Categories:

Light Rigid (LR)
You may drive any rigid vehicle, including bus and truck, greater than 4.5 tonnes GVM but equal to or less than 8 tonnes GVM or a vehicle that seats more than 12 adults including the driver that has a GVM not greater than 8 tonnes GVM.
To apply for this category you must have held an Australian car driver licence for at least 12 months.

Medium Rigid (MR)
You may drive any two axle rigid vehicle, including bus and truck, greater than 8 tonnes GVM. You may tow a single trailer (other than a semi trailer) up to 9 tonne GVM or to the manufactures specifications (whichever is less).
To apply for this category you must have held an Australian car driver licence for at least 12 months.

Heavy Rigid (HR)
You may drive any rigid vehicle with three or more axles, including bus or truck, greater than 8 tonnes GVM. You may tow a single trailer (other than a semi trailer) up to 9 tonne GVM or to the manufacturer's specifications (whichever is less).
To apply for this category you must have held an Australian car driver licence for at least 24 months.

Heavy Combination (HC)
You may drive a prime mover or single semi trailer exceeding 9 tonne, or rigid vehicle plus trailer greater than 9 tonnes GVM. A Mass and Dimension permit may also be required. Check with VicRoads by calling 13 11 71.
To apply for this category you must have held an Australian car driver licence for at least 24 months, including Medium Rigid or Heavy Rigid licence for at least 12 months.

Multi Combination (MC)
You may drive a heavy combination vehicle with one or more additional trailers.
To apply for this category you must have held a Heavy Combination, Heavy Rigid or a combination of Heavy Rigid and a Heavy Combination vehicle licence for at least 12 months, plus the completion of an approved course.

NOTE: Medium Rigid and Heavy Rigid licence holders may tow a single trailer (other than a semi - trailer) that has a GVM not greater than 9 tonnes.

Work Diaries:
New Fatigue laws, implemented in September 2008, set revised work and rest limits for heavy
vehicle drivers and require better management
of driver fatigue.
The laws apply to both trucks and buses. They
Apply to a truck with a gross vehicle mass
(GVM) of over 12 tonnnes or a combination, if
The total of the GVM is over 12 tonnes. They
Also apply to a bus with more than 12 seats,
Including the driver. The laws do not cover plant
Equipment (machines or implements) or a motor
home.

Thats the bit ya need to read!
chocs 8-)

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #53858 by Chocs
Doesn't the sign at the BBQ say...
edit:
HEAVY VEHICLE CHECKING STATION
HEAVY VEHICLES (including BUSES) MUST ENTER
Vehicles over 8t must enter?

Don't reckon ol mate with the horse float or the tandem trailer on behind would fit the description?

In addition to the vehicle description...
if it is registered as a prime mover....
thats what the official person will assume you are driving.
If its registered as a rigid, thats what the official person will assume you are driving

I won't be the person you have to convince on the day though...
If you are on the borderline and not sure...get it in writing.. its your licence, your wallet

bidstbc
chocs 8-)

12 years 10 months ago #53859 by
Replied by on topic Re: Drivers Diary Question
When I was hauling heavy fibreglass tanks from Adelaide to Kalgoorlie, with my 3 tonne E series Bedford, back in '98 .. I was dragging a 10M tri-axle trailer, grossing around 11 tonnes (my maximum GCM) .. and running 3.5M wide and 3.5M high .. and the guys at the scales in S.A., just waved me through, they weren't even remotely interested! Maybe I didn't look like a REAL truckie, by driving a BEDFORD!! .. ;D ;D

Time to create page: 0.549 seconds