Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
2 years 2 months ago #231633 by IHScout
There are still a few places where you can "self-serve" your parts collection. I know of two in Sydney and one in Melbourne. I think some of them charge an entry fee now (maybe $10) probably to cover insurance and then you have to pay a "fair" price for what you drag out of there.

Dennis

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #231636 by PDU
U-Pull-It charge $2 to get in (originally it was $1) . :woohoo:

More
2 years 2 months ago #231680 by Zuffen
Pick and Payless in Blacktown (Sydney) is closing as the site is for sale for $120,000,000 (yep that's 120) and they would never get a good return on the wrecking yard.

The other scrounge your own parts place in Sydney is Northern Road wreckers in Londonderry and it's also for sale and will close.

I think there's still a small yard in around Station Street Seven hills that lets you "out back" but I haven't been there in years.

More
2 years 2 months ago #231681 by JOHN.K.
Its a WHS issue.especially with all the yards now stacking 3 and 4 high......was someone killed around Willawong last year,and the Afgans were pretty lucky,,fined a million,and given 12 month suspended sentences ..........12 months jail would have sent them back to Astan and the Taliban........I mentioned to the guy has my yard about stacking cars,and he reckoned he was stopping it,but a year later stuffs still 3 and 4 high................But ,he does let the public pick stuff,all the workers are cutting out motors for export.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 2 months ago #231682 by JOHN.K.
Not cheap either...someon comes to the office with a 3 cornered bit of plastic......$50 .....I would have thought $3 would have pulled it up.

More
2 years 2 months ago #231684 by PDU
At this rate if you want something you'll have to buy new, or pick up a wreck/cheapie. Of course this could cost as much as the new parts the way things are going, but at least you'll have plenty of spares available to sell on to others.

Meanwhile I've continued placing wires down their intended paths and, once I was certain I had it all worked out, started taping the wires into a loom (every 4" or so). This was purely to tie them into a neater bundle with separate paths where wires turned off from the main loom, and later to be covered by some of that fancy tube loom.

Despite my checking I then realised I had left a wire out :pinch: and had to go back so I could slot that one into place too! Finally I sat back and started roughly recording where the wires were placed, and their colours, so I could complete my wiring diagrams.

This was progressing reasonably well but identified two more wires I had missed!!! :angry: I am a patient bloke but at that point called it quits and went inside to sulk. Bloody alternator connections. :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 2 months ago #231698 by cobbadog
I feel oyur pain PDU. Had similar things happen over time. Even today a simple job of servicing an unused overlocker challenged me to the enth degree. Still not found why it is locked up and took 8 attempts to refit the base. I put it back together and in the box and under the bench.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #231711 by Mrsmackpaul
You started off with a solid plan, but thats when it is bound to go a little pare shaped

Never fear you'll soon be there, just blue tooth it and it should be fine

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by IHScout.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

More
2 years 2 months ago #231717 by PDU
Pain, more frustration, and not a hint of blue tooth anywhere . . .

. . . I'll simply ramble on with my long winded posts, it's either that or go into competition with your videos Paul!? :huh: :lol:

Not going to happen. Have no fear about that.

Tomorrow I'll console myself by buying three push button switches which I have planned (with some of the wires in readiness) but not obtained yet. The wiring, like the head replacement, the petrol tanks, the lower body panel fettling (both side), the rear lift up roof, etc, etc, can wait. Nothing new around here, just a growing "to do" list. :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 2 months ago #231723 by PaulFH
Quite a project under way there PDU.
Plans and progress are really interesting to follow on your posts. Amazing how much you achieve while helping others too.
Keep on! Paul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Morris, PDU

Time to create page: 0.537 seconds